Like any industry, things move quickly in the call center industry, so it’s hard to always keep up to speed on the latest trends. But, there are certainly things you can do to help stay abreast of what’s happening in the call center business. Here are seven of the things you can do to stay tuned in:
- Attend industry tradeshows, read industry publications. This is the most obvious, but sometimes we get so busy that we forget to stay active within our communities, the best place to keep on top of current trends. It’s important to make the time to attend at least one or two trade shows, and set aside time each week to browse industry publications and forums. Some great resources include ICMI tradeshows and CCNG events.
- Seek industry training and certifications. Industry certifications will not only help you stay current on trends, but will build your resume and help your long-term career. You can seek training courses from the ICMI and even become ICMI certified.
- Talk with peers in your industry. This goes hand-in-hand with the first tip. Additionally, you can participate in discussions in one of the many call center LinkedIn groups or participate with organizations like the ICMI or CCNG to interact with call center peers.
- Get your organization’s call center “benchmarked” by a 3rd party to understand where you stand on the capability/maturity spectrum. As your call center grows and matures, consider engaging a consultant or organization that specializes in assessing call centers, such as Benchmark Portal . These groups have years of industry knowledge and understand that each call center is unique yet can benefit from the experiences of others. After a brief engagement, you will receive a report that lets you understand where you stand on the call center continuum, areas of opportunity, and next steps to make an impact.
- Work with a cloud provider who must stay current with industry trends in order to compete. The benefit here is to shift that “technology obsolescence” risk to your provider so you can focus on the operational areas. Let your provider keep up with the trends for you and help you identify the things you should be doing to stay competitive.
- Work with a cloud provider who can let you easily “try out” new technologies by simply activating them to assess their value. One of the many benefits of cloud call center technology is that you can easily turn on and off features. Many providers will offer trials of new features like Queue Callback, so that you can determine if they are just a fad or if they will really help improve your business.
- Work with a provider who has “call center experts” on staff. Some service providers have call center experts on staff and it’s their mission to ensure that you are leveraging the full business value of your existing technology. Plus, they will help you understand the benefits that could be derived from “new” technologies available to you. When you are working with people who have actually managed call centers themselves, they truly understand the needs of the call center and are on top of the latest trends.
If you can focus on these seven things, you will be leaps ahead of your competition in regards to keeping up with call center trends.
To learn about the many other ways a cloud call center can help your organization, click here to download our 5 Cloud Benefits Call Center Supervisors Need to Know.Categories: Contact Center