Evolve IP Survey of 180+ Healthcare Professionals Reveals Cloud Growth, Compliance Needs and Deployment TrendsWAYNE, Pa.—March 21, 2017 –– Healthcare IT professionals and executives believe overwhelmingly that when facing hardware malfunctions and environmental disasters, their organization’s data is safer in the cloud than on premises according to a technology survey released today by Evolve IP. The survey also revealed a preference for private over public clouds with about 60 percent preferring private cloud infrastructure over public clouds for data security. The survey of more than 180 healthcare professionals, which provides current cloud adoption trends and future cloud deployment insights, also revealed that 85 percent of all healthcare organizations now have at least one service in the cloud.Data security is an ongoing concern for IT and this year’s survey asked respondents where they felt their data was safest under three common risk scenarios: environmental disasters, malicious attacks (e.g. cyberattacks) and hardware failure.
- For environmental disasters – 61 percent felt their information was safest in a private cloud compared to 27.5 percent in a public cloud and 11.5 percent on premise.
- For malicious attacks, 58.5 percent preferred a private cloud to safeguard their data versus 32 percent on premise and 9.5 percent public cloud.
- For hardware malfunctions 58.5 percent preferred private clouds compared to 24 percent public cloud and 17.5 percent on premises.
- 42 percent of survey respondents noted that network access was a pain point for their organization yet just 22 percent had evaluated SD-WAN technology as a solution.
- The overwhelming majority of respondents indicated HIPAA compliance requirements (85 percent). In addition, 32 percent also faced PCI compliance requirements.
- The top services survey respondents expect to deploy in the cloud over the next three years include data backup (48 percent), Exchange / Office (27.5 percent) and phone systems (27 percent).
The blind, web-based survey was conducted by Evolve IP during January of 2017, featuring over 1,300 respondents in multiple industries across North America. Over 170 of the respondents indicated they were in the healthcare industry. Of the healthcare respondents, 76 percent came from organizations with between 50 and 5,000 employees, 15 percent from companies with more than 5,000, 6 percent were businesses with 11-49 associates and 3 percent were small businesses with 10 employees or less. Evolve IP customers were excluded from the survey.